It is some what interesting ,as to how we came to meet the new owner of the old historic hospital.However,we were glad we did.On October email@example.com. pacific time.Ronnie will be live to share what is new with the paranormal hot-spot and to share some ghost stories for us as well.
Events page and live listening link.
The Old South Pittsburg Hospital is considered by many to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee. If you are interested in experiencing a haunted hospital firsthand or would like to indulge in overnight ghost hunting, this is the place to be. This particular structure is located at what many refer to as the “Foothill” of the South Pittsburg Mountain in the State of Tennessee.
In the year of 1959, four medical professionals founded the facility and named it the “South Pittsburg Municipal Hospital” or “SPMH” for short. It consisted of a total of sixty eight thousand square feet and was designed to meet the medical care needs of the growing community. Many physical additions were constructed throughout the next several decades to the haunted hospital. Unfortunately, the Old South Pittsburg Hospital was closed in the year of 1998. Since then, it has been dubbed as one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
About the property.
It is that there is a natural based spring that runs underneath this haunted hospital. It runs directly into the Northwest region of the Tennessee River. It is because of this spring that many individuals throughout history were attracted to the area. In its earliest days, the City of South Pittsburg was referred to as “Pittsburg Landing”. It is said that a ferry located approximately one eighth of a mile from the hospital’s grounds transported soldiers from the North and the South to the region so that they could make their way to the popular battlefield known as the “Chickamauga”.
Back in the year of 1778, a special tribe identified as the “Chiaha” used the land where the haunted hospital now stands for living and engaging in day to day activities that enhanced their survival. Examples of these activities included growing extravagant orchards, hunting for various types of animals native to the region and fishing. During the Civil War era, the tribe permitted the soldiers from the North to use a section of land that is now behind the Old South Pittsburg Hospital to store various supplies such as artillery. Unfortunately, the soldiers of the South eventually invaded the region and launched assaults on the Union Soldiers. As a result, many Union members, individuals of the tribe and even Indians in the Cherokee Tribe died and the Confederate Soldiers emerged victorious. Many believe that these deaths contribute to the land’s reputation as being one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
The Native American town of Chiaha was visited by the Hernando de Soto Expedition in July of 1541. It was visited at least twice by the Juan Pardo Expedition of 1567. Both expeditions were authorized by the Spanish Crown, but the two expeditions did not take the same routes. Chiaha is one of only three towns, along with Cofitachiqui and Tasqui that are mentioned by both the chronicles of de Soto’s journey and Pardo’s chronicle by Juan de la Bandera. Chiaha is the only town in the Southern Highlands that is mentioned by all of these chronicles. https://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/where-was-chiaha.htm
During the American Civil War (1861-1865), Pennsylvania played a critical role in the Union, providing a huge supply of military manpower, equipment, and leadership to the Federal government. The state raised more than 360,000 soldiers for the Federal armies, and served as a major source of artillery guns, small arms, ammunition, armor for ironclad United States Navy gunboats, and food supplies. The Phoenixville Iron Company by itself produced well over 1,000 cannons, and the Frankford Arsenal was a major supply depot.
It is believed between the two sides the ways the soldiers died,that and the Indian lands, that the lands have held key attitudes towards, just why the place is so haunted.
By the end of the hot summer of 1863, the Union Soldiers successfully reclaimed the land until the end of the Civil War. Despite this, many individuals residing in the community experienced numerous hardships because of the fact that many soldiers took the livestock that they raised, the foods that they stored, items that could be used for first aid purposes and other types of necessities. It was then that the residents realized that they could experience a high level of fortune by selling the various types of minerals native to the region as well as the limestone heavily present in the geography of the area. Not too long after experiencing success in this endeavor, the railway came to the region and offered more opportunities for the region. However, the land still retained the devastating memories of war, homicide, death and destruction. It is because of this that many believe the land where the Old South Pittsburg Hospital sits is considered to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
Paranormal ActivityThroughout the history of the hospital, many have reported various types of paranormal activity. Many believe that the haunting s could be a direct result of the colorful past related to the land that the hospital sits on. Others believe the activity stems from the injuries, illnesses and deaths that occurred while the Old South Pittsburg Hospital serviced the community. Regardless of what has resulted in the paranormal activity, one thing is certain – this hospital is considered to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee. Many paranormal investigators have conducted overnight ghost hunting tours and have acquired evidence that indicates that something unusual is occurring in and around the structure. This evidence as well as the stories from locals, past employees and other individuals all point to the fact that this haunted hospital has many stories it wants to share. The following highlights some of the stories surrounding the Old South Pittsburg Hospital:
• Many employees that worked at this hospital when it was in full operation share stories of many unusual events that occurred during their shifts. It was not at all uncommon for these employees to observe various inanimate objects such as medicine carts, hospital beds, wheelchairs and other items seemingly moving on their own. Individuals on overnight ghost hunting adventures have also observed this phenomenon. This is one reason it is considered to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
• Many individuals employed by the Old South Pittsburg Hospital claim that they have observed dark, shadow figures in the corridors and rooms of the structure. Many of these visions were enhanced by seemingly disembodied voices. Many felt that these figures were intruders that meant harm against the hospital or patients. However, upon investigation, it was discovered that there was no living presence in the regions where the apparent shadows were observed.
• On the third floor of this haunted hospital, many have reported the fact they have seen a shadow figure of a man approximately seven feet in height that they believe to be one of the past surgeons that practiced in the medical facility. It is common for these reports to come with witness statements claiming that this spirit tells the living to get out and/or leave the premises. Many spirits that seem to be intelligent haunting s have informed several of the living that this spirit does not want them associating with the living. While no one has experienced any type of injury associated with this spirit, they have felt his presence in an overwhelming manner and claim that it appears as if he is hiding something. By participating in overnight ghost hunting, you too may be able to experience this presence. Many that have experienced this presence agree this is one of the main reasons they consider it to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
• There is a female spirit that apparently used to work as a nurse in the basement region of the Old South Pittsburg Hospital that many appropriately refer to as the “Naughty Nurse”. This female seems to touch individuals in places that are deemed private and also whispers sweet nothings in the ears of those that visit the basement. In addition to this female, a spirit that looks as though he was a doctor in life as well as a janitorial spirit may be seen in the basement region of the haunted hospital.
• The third floor of this haunted hospital seems to have quite a few ghosts as well. One of the most popular is a toddler that appears to be either two to three years of age that is active and seems to enjoy playing or urging the living to play with him. Many individuals have stated that he requests to be held. He is fondly referred to as “Buddy”. In addition to this, a spirit of an elderly woman is often observed. Many also claim that they have seen the ghost of what appears to be a female nurse on this floor as well.
If you would like to experience one of the most haunted places in Tennessee, you should consider visiting the Old South Pittsburg Hospital. One of the easiest ways to do so is by participating in an overnight ghost hunting adventure. By staying at this haunted hospital, you may have the pleasure of capturing evidence that suggests that there is life after death. There are many intriguing stories surrounding the Old South Pittsburg Hospital and several tales that make this one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.